Is There Such Thing as Over-Cleanliness?

Is There Such Thing as Over-Cleanliness?

 

Because of a tidal wave of advertisements on cosmetics and household cleaning products, it seems that most parents have been waging a relentless war against germs.

[pq]Fact is the human body is home to some 1,000 species of germs. And these germs make your kid’s immune system battle-ready against diseases.[/pq]

 

A study of over 11,000 children found that an overly hygienic environment increases the risk of asthma and eczema (atopic dermatitis). The all-out war for cleanliness is also suspect in the rise of other respiratory allergies including autoimmune ailments such as arthritis and multiple sclerosis.

Ayaw padapuan sa langaw. Lest flies sneak a landing anywhere on baby’s skin, most moms would resort to weapons of mass destruction against insects and microorganisms in the house – and most of these contain deadly substances.

  • Air fresheners – can interfere with the sense of smell by releasing nerve – deafening agents or coating nasal passages with an oil film – usually methoxychlor, a pesticide that accumulates in fat cells. Known toxic chemicals found in air freshener: formaldehyde, a highly toxic carcinogen, and phenol, which can cause the skin to swell, burn, peel, and break out in hives.
  • Ammonia, a very volatile chemical, can cause severe damage to the eyes, respiratory tract, and skin.
  • Antibacterial cleansers may contain triclosan, which is absorbed through the skin and is linked to liver damage.
  • Bleach, is a corrosive that can irritate or burn the skin, eyes, and respiratory tract. It may cause pulmonary edema or vomiting and coma if ingested. Never mix bleach with acids found in toilet bowl cleansers or ammonia – these mixtures may produce potentially deadly fumes.
  • Carpets and Upholstery shampoo formula are designed to overpower stains with highly toxic substances: perchorethlene, a known carcinogen that damages liver, kidney, and the nervous system; and ammonium hydroxide a corrosive, extremely irritating to eyes, skin, and respirator passages.
  • Chlorine is the first agent of chemical warfare. World War II ended with an abundance of this cheap chemical. Likely in the name of huge profits, it was added to our water supply and many other products. Chlorine is said to cause breast cancer and can be lethal. Scientist won’t handle chlorine without protective gloves, face masks, and ventilation – yet it is in most store brand cleanser, including dishwasher’s detergents. The harmful effects are intensified when the fumes are heated, as in the shower. Chlorine lurks in tap water, swimming pools, and jacuzzis.
  • Dishwashing liquids contain chlorine in a dry, highly concentrated form. They are labeled “ harmful if swallowed”.
  • Furniture polish contains petroleum distillates, which are highly flammable and can cause skin and lung cancer. They also contain nitrobenzene, which is easily absorbed through the skin and is extremely toxic.
  • Laundry products such as detergents contain phosphorus, enzymes, ammonia, naphthalene, phenol, sodium, nitilotriacetate, and countless other chemicals. These substances can cause rashes, itching, allergies, sinus problems, and more. The residue left on your cloths, bed sheets, and towels is absorbed through your skin.
  • Toilet – Bowl cleaners usually contain hydrochloric acid, a highly corrosive irritant to both skin and eyes and damages the kidney and liver. Toilet – bowl cleaners also pack hypochlorite bleach, a corrosive irritant that can burn eyes, skin, and the respiratory tract. Toilet –bowl cleansers also may cause pulmonary edema, vomiting, or coma if ingested, contact with other chemicals may cause chlorine fumes which may be fatal.

Young children, whose organs and central nervous systems are still developing, are more vulnerable to these chemicals. Compounding this problem, children usually stay close to the floor (where toxins settle). Moreover, children constantly put objects and their fingers in their mouths.

Parents need to be wary of over cleanliness: toxic substances, present in a range of cleaning products, are linked to a range of adverse health effects including damage to the central nervous system, as well as reproductive and developmental problems.

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*